  • Subject: RE: iSeries marketing
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:02:51 -0400

Al wrote:

I believe that there were two sets of ad ideas floating around.

One was the notion of an ad or letter to editor of WSJ where several 400
fans
collectively ask that IBM marketing of the iSeries be better focused on its
strengths, and various other things we wish for be more seriously considered
by IBM.  I believe this is what you are saying might back fire.

The other was the notion that various 400 enthusiasts might package what
good
400 ads could look like & present it to IBM & lobby IBM to use something
comparable.  I had suggested that IMHO might be a good place to place some
such proposed ads then have a survey for folks to vote on the ad they would
most like to see IBM running.

----------------

Al,

Yes, I believe the first notion for an ad will backfire.  I agree completely
with the idea you're expressing, I just don't think an ad is an effective
vehicle.  There is a world of difference even between placing an ad, and
writing a letter to an editor of a paper.

Suppose someone tells my boss that they don't think I know what I'm doing.
I'm going to be pretty upset.  Suppose that person puts an ad in the local
paper saying the same thing.  I'd go ballistic.  Al, I think anyone would.

I read this story about Mr. Gerstner:  In 1997 Fortune magazine wrote an
article that was mostly, but not completely, complimentary to him.  Mr.
Gerstner took such offense at the negative parts that he told Ms. Kohnstamm
not to renew any advertising with the magazine, and IBM people were told not
to return phone calls from anyone at Fortune.

So while I agree with the message IMO, even the smoothest writer couldn't
put together an ad that would help you gain influence with people at IBM.
And the odds are great that you would lose any influence that you did have.

I hadn't heard about the second notion about proposing ads in the IMHO
column and lobbying IBM to use the best.  Sounds interesting.

jt