Please forward this to the person in charge of Web server The E-tech Zone.

Dear Sir/Madam;
As a long time user of the IBM AS/400 line (now e-Server iSeries 400), I must take exception to the slanted comments made in the Oct. 9th article and Interview.

Mr. Carayol's comment about being "limited" baffles me. There was no mention as to how long ago this "limitations" was discovered. There are also no details. Here are some factoids:

Upgrades to the iSeries 400 are significantly easier, in that compiled programs run on all machines, without recompiling. When the AS/400 went from 48-bit to 64-bit, all 48-bit programs would be automatically converted to 64-bit, the first time it was executed.

Proven scalability from a single processor machine for a few users, (256M memory, 8G DASD) to a 12-way processor supporting thousands of users and functions (up to 98G main store, 1.8TB DASD). And a compiled program from the smallest will run on the largest system. Need more... easy clustering of systems, as well as partitioning of systems in multiple virtual systems. Oh, by the way, these functions are also included in the operating system.

Reliability, over 99.4% uptime. With hot swap components in the current models.  Need higher reliability? Clustering and third party software will quickly bring the system to the 5 9s.

Much of the benefit comes from the integration of the iSeries 400 operating system (OS/400) with all of the utilities. Each AS/400 will have the same database manager, communications support, HTTP server, etc. This results in much more stability, without the problems associated with integrating these components on your own.

The list goes on. I am not a salesman, nor do I represent IBM, or any of their Business Partners. your organization needs to take a look at the iSeries 400 before you propagate more falsehoods.

Thanks,
Bob Larkin
Consulting Systems Analyst