  • Subject: Re: Telnet tool shutdown?
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:28:18 GMT

The first instance was few weeks ago.  I just tried to find the story so I
could repeat it accurately.  I couldn't find it.  My memory tells me the
article obliquely mentioned that Microsoft views telnet as an archaic tool
and they've replaced it with a better product so telnet need no longer be
supported.

The second instance was yesterday when a friend complained to me that
their telnet application no longer worked.  In tracing it through they
found that it worked fine with two other ISP's.  A phone call to the first
ISP got the explanation that the ISP had shut off telnet as they'd been
told it is too insecure and no one used it for legitimate purposes anymore
anyway.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com