  • Subject: Re: OS400 DATA MIGRATION
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:56:15 -0400

Dare,

  To do this you need to go into DST, Work with DIsk Units, and remove
the units in question from the ASP. You didn't specify but it sounds
like you have a 5052 'top hat' with 10-4G drives and 6 open slots.
Additionally it sounds like a mirrored pair of 4's in the base unit. So
if you are at 92% full now of a (calculated) 41.9G then you have 38.58G
of data. When you remove the 2 drives you will have only 33.52G of
storage.  This means that in order to have enough space you will need to
remove Mirroring AND Stop Raid protection to have enough space to drop
those drives without overflowing. Even then you will need to set your
ASP storage limit to near 100% or DST won't let you do it. Being that
full it'll take some time for sure! And of course if you lose a drive
during that time, it's bye bye data!

  So Dare, howz your tape drive working???  I think that in your
situation I'd back up your entire system, clean the drive and repeat.
Then I'd clear the data from ASP 1, Kill raid and mirroring, remove the
drives, do the hardware stuff, re-enable Raid, re-enable Mirroring, add
all the drives to the ASP and reload the system. You'll get a balanced
load that way too.

  My .02.

  - Larry

ps I haven't done one of these since, um, Saturday?