David:

I have avoided posting on this topic but, what the heck.

Thompson's original Unix used a byte-oriented file system.  You could read a
byte at a time - forward or backward.  For example, one of my old OS
textbooks says, "A file in UNIX is a sequence of bytes.  Different programs
expect various levels of structure, but the kernel does not impose a
structure on files."  It goes on to explain that a text file is a string of
bytes where the lines are separated by newline characters and that a
directory is a particular kind of file but that these are conventions.  The
kernel knows getc and putc.

Database products such as Oracle support either the native file system or
"raw" mode - that moniker is probably wrong but it is roughly correct.  If
the native file system is used, a mount point is created containing a
directory structure.  Then one or more large files are created in the
directory.  The database creates the structures that it wants within the big
file(s) then exposes programs and APIs that can modify the inside of the big
file as documented in their manuals.  If "raw" is used, the database is
given a set of physical drives and controllers.  The database application
provides all management for those drives including surface formatting,
operation scheduling, backup, and restore.  The programs and APIs operate on
the contents of those disk drives using database resources.

In my professional opinion, if a person objects to flat files then I can
legitimately object to byte files and we are even.  Even the raw version is
limited by the sector formats allowed by the drive manufacturer - usually
between 512 bytes and 750 bytes.  Arguments that a database product should
be owned and operated by the hardware vendor have the same credibility as
arguments that the database product should NOT be owned and operated by the
hardware vendor.  These arguments are religious, created by marketers, not
substantive.

Yesterday, Eric said that sizzle matters more than steak unless the techies
make purchasing decisions.  It might be true but I don't want to live like
that.  I want to use a superior product.  Oracle, DB2/400, IMS, and DB2 for
MVS are superior products.  Like most people, I happen to understand one of
those better than the others but that has not made me a bigot or a zealot.

Properly set up, Oracle is just as reliable and fast as DB2.  If we consider
the UDB version of DB2 that runs on MVS, AIX, NT, and other operating
systems, both products arose from the same heritage - the System R project
that IBM was running at the Santa Teresa Lab in the San Francisco area
during the 70s and 80s.  I was told that Oracle was created by some
disgruntled ex-IBM people - does anyone know if this is true?  The AS/400
version arose from different roots and shares only the external interface
with the UDB version.  We can thank the leadership of Bill Davidson and
Larry Youngren for that implementation - there may have been other
more-senior guidance but, aside from Dick Bains and Glen Henry, I don't know
those names.

If the AS/400 database product is superior to another one on my list (and I
do not say that it is or is not), it is because DB2/400 runs on only one
platform and is therefore easier to test.  As far as I can tell, that is the
most important objective difference between them.  Other differences exist
but, in my opinion, they are less important or subject to change with
funding or time.

This reply got out of hand, sorry.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net