  • Subject: RE: new as400.ibm.com site
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:37:51 -0400

Al,

Those EDI files were also flat files, NOT relational database tables.  What
they're talking about is the way that the data base is implemented.  On the
AS/400, a database table is implemented as a physical file object.  A
physical file object is made up of several pieces, one of which is a data
space which is nothing more than a fixed record length flat file.  Modern
Unix and Windows server RDB's tend to implement an entire database as a
single big file, or in some cases a fixed number of files, in the particular
operating system's file system.  Remember that these OS's have no concept of
"objects", everything is a file, whether it's an executable program, a data
base, a driver, or the OS kernel itself.  Database software is a separate
product that runs over the top of the OS - the OS doesn't understand the
concepts involved.  Database tables are internal constructs within these
database files, and the implementation is usually hidden and often more
subject to major change than what we're used to.  Consequently, the Unix
weenies have a tendency to sneer at what they see as an old-fashioned
implementation ("It's cruder than dBase II!"), when in fact it's a very
logical and powerful implementation for an object-based operating system
with a fully integrated database.

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC