  • Subject: Vendors needing ALLOBJ, etc.
  • From: "Steve Glanstein" <mic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:40:13 -1000

Hello folks:

Just caught a bit of this (between the exciting world of doing one's own
financials & taxes!)

Vendor requires:        Means the following:

*ALLOBJ         Doesn't know how to design with Exclude Based Authority.
                        Thinks that group profiles has something to do with a
"Rock" band.

*SPLCTL         Hasn't ever changed the *OUTQ default from AUTCHK(*OWNER) to
AUTCHK(*DTAAUT).
                        Set the client's computer up wrong so figured it
                                was easier to use *SPLCTL than figure out the
security of a printer.

*JOBCTL         Thinks that subsystem routing entries is a mispelling of
"routine
entries."
                        Thinks that adopted authority requires family services!

*AUDIT          They're clueless.

*IOSYSCFG               This is really funny. If you wanna laugh, ask the
vendor to
describe this one.

They don't get it! It seems that the bigger they are the more ignorant they
get!

Did you know that an entire application can be designed with a "QUSER" level
with the possible exception of the addition of routing entries in a
pre-designated subsystem, communications changes, and the
addition/modification of OS/400 user profiles.

Also, the same application can have AUT(*EXCLUDE) for everything except the
startup program and/or command.

Special note to JTE: Great idea to teach a class on Vendor Inflicted
Security Schemes.
Perhaps it should be called "Vendor Initiated Security Screwups."

Steve Glanstein
mic@aloha.com