  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: The relevance of COMMON
  • From: "Gary Patterson" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:37:47 -0500

Before I disagree with you :-) I do want to say that some of your cost
saving ideas are certainly well-mentioned, and may help some attendees save
money.  I particularly like the nearby B&B idea (but see below).

That said...
Overstated?  Certainly not.  Perhaps they do not reflect your experience,
but I suspect that my numbers are pretty typical.  They certainly match my
experience.  (I have the receipts to prove it!)  It might be possible for
some attendees to cut costs as you state, but it is not practical for the
vast majority of us.

B&B's are often missing essential services that business travelers require:
individual phone lines, copiers, fax machines.  You already mentioned the
capacity issue.  I don't know about you, but I have work to do while I am
out of town, and need a place to plug in my laptop, and a decent phone line
for my modem.  The rate savings must be balanced against increased local
transportation costs, (plus of course travel time, which if you value at
more than zero, adds up fast).

At conferences, I am on a tight schedule, and have to find time to return
calls, pages, and emails, plus deal with emergencies.  Plus, attend the
conference, meet the people that I want to meet, AND try to have a little
fun!  IT is a lot harder to get the most out of the conference, plus keep up
with the rest of it if I am staying 30 minutes away, fighting traffic,
parking hassles, and shopping for a slightly cheaper place to eat.  Again, I
value my time at more than zero (you are probably noticing a theme here...)

As far as food goes, I agree with you.  Even cheap dining adds up, however.

As far as driving, bus, or rail transportation goes, those sort of cost
savings only work if (again, and finally!) I assign a $0 value to my time
and that of my employees - which is not the case.

There is a balance, but no matter how you add it up, converence travel is
expensive.  It does not stop me from attending.