  • Subject: Re: Client Access environments
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:48:06 -0700

Hi Chris,

That turns out not to be the case. First, there is Ops Navigator which
allows creation of multiple environments. Second, there is the
ActiveEnvironment property of the AS400Systems object in CA Express. Keep in
mind that when they talk about environments, what they're actually talking
about is a collection of AS400 system connections, not the networking
environment. I think the original idea was for laptops to have one
environment for home, another for a work environment.

Here's some VB code that shows the active environment using CA Express
objects:

    Dim AS400Systems As New cwbx.SystemNames

    Debug.Print "Active environment: " & AS400Systems.ActiveEnvironment
    Debug.Print "Default system....: " & AS400Systems.DefaultSystem
    Debug.Print "Count.............: " & Format$(AS400Systems.Count)

In my situation, when I run a program with this code interactively

Active environment: My AS/400 Connections
Default system....: CHW_DEVELOP
Count.............: 1

The CGI version of the program running that code gets the following:

Active environment: Primary Environment
Default system....:
Count.............: 0

All of my connections are via TCP/IP. You are correct there -- there is only
one networking environment, but that's not what I'm having problems with.
And actually with CA Express I'm using the Active-X objects instead of the
Active-X data queue control, although that's also available and it had the
same problem as the CA 3.2 version.

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice
909 425-0196 fax

From: Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@cross-check.com>
> CA Express has only one environment, TCP/IP, Period!  All systems are
connect via TCP/IP.  How you connect TCP/IP to the network in of no concern
for CA Express.  The old SNA way needed to know how to route/connect to your
AS400, there for you had multiple environments.  What were the differences
between your primary and DSS environments under CA?  Was one via SNA over
your LAN and the other TCP/IP remote dial up?  Any how that does not matter.
The APIs are a little different for CA Express and CA 3.2.  Perhaps you
could not use the same API for CA Express as you did for CA.  What I do
know, IMHO, is that CA Express is faster and more efficient for the client
and network than the old CA was.  Even if you used TCP/IP only for CA 3.2.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com