  • Subject: RE: Print Key Printer
  • From: "Gary R. Patterson" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:57:06 -0500

Tangled web on this one.

In a default setup, QSYSPRT (the printer file) looks at the user's job for
the print device.  The user's job gets it from its job description, the job
description gets it from the user profile, the user profile gets it from the
workstation that the user is signed on to, and the workstation gets it from
the system value QPRTDEV.  (or at least that is how I remember it).

Can't imagine why this would give you trouble... <BG>

Each place in the chain is configurable, so this may not be the chain on
your system.

Usually, you want to associate a printer (for print screens, at least) with
either a USER or a WORKSTATION (assuming you have hard-named devices, and
not system-assigned QPADEV* devices).

To associate a printer with a WORKSTATION:

CHGDEVDSP DEVD(dsiplaydevicename) PRTDEV(printer)

To associate a printer with a USER:

CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(username) PRTDEV(printer)

A word of warning - changing these parameters may change more than just
where print key output goes.  Experiment on a nearby (friendly) user.

If you are not set up in a default configuration, here are some commands you
can use to view the parts of the puzzle:

1) By default, system print key output (from printer file QSYSPRT) goes to
the output queue associated with the user's job.  Use "DSPFD QSYSPRT", find
the OUTQ parameter to make sure that this is true on your system.

Interactive users usually pick up this setting from their job description.
The default jobd is QDFTJOBD, but you may use one or more alternate job
descriptions.  To find the job description being used, take a look at your
own job using WRKJOB, option 2.  Look at another users job with "WRKUSRJOB
username", option 5, then option 2.

QDFTJOBD, by default, picks up the printer from the user's profile
(*USRPRF).  Use "DSPJOBD QDFTJOBD" (or whatever jobd is being used) and
verify that this is the case.

The user profile, by default, picks up the printer from the workstation
device description that the user signs on under.  (DSPUSRPRF for the user
and check the OUTQ parameter).

The device, by default, picks up the printer from QPRTDEV system value.  Use
"DSPDEVD devicename" to see the workstation device description.  You can get
the display device name from the job name using WRKUSRJOB or WRKJOB.

Oh, and if you are interested, use "DSPSYSVAL QDEVPRT" to see the default
system printer.

Hope that helps.

Gary R. Patterson
NexSource, Inc.

980 N Michigan Ave, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 214-3526

640 W. Main St.
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 581-0106

Information technology services for business
http://www.nexsource.com