  • Subject: RE: Does Old=Bad?
  • From: "John Taylor" <john.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 21:35:19 -0600

Booth,

I strongly agree with you about this.

It's too bad that many AS/400 vendors have taken the quick/cheap path into
GUI by wrapping a screen scraper around their existing application.  From a
usability standpoint, the result is usually much worse than what it was
intended to replace.

A well designed GUI will offer a productive environment for the experienced
user, and provide Wizards/Smartguides for those that are new to the
application and require a degree of "hand-holding". However, designing a
good GUI is a difficult task. I think it's especially difficult for those
that have been doing green-screen for a long time. Much more difficult, in
my opinion, than making the move to OO programming.

Regards,

John Taylor
Canada