  • Subject: Re: Windows BSOD vs. AS/400
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:58:02 EDT

>  From:    WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com (Walden H. Leverich)

>  I'd say that the OS and MI have a lot to do with it, but the reason IBM can
>  control these so well is that they control the hardware. If IBM had to
>  support hardware _designed_ by 3rd parties I think the OS and MI would be
>  less stable. I know that there is 3rd party hardware (EMC jumps to mind)
but
>  unless I'm wrong these look and smell like IBM hardware at the interface
>  level.

Walden,

Prior to moving to AS/436, we had some EMC memory on our S/36.  The EMC
options & guarantees were excellent.  Part of the deal was that the most
memory you could put on our S/36 model from IBM was 7 Meg, but apparently the
IBM structure was designed for 8 Meg & you could get it to 8 Meg & have it
work wonderfully, if you got it from EMC.  EMC memory cost about 1/2 as much
as IBM's & there were places offering memory for 1/2 as much again as EMC,
but it did not come with EMC guarantees.  It was very easy to disconnect the
EMC memory from the box in the event that a question was raised as to
incompatibility & EMC guaranteed that if IBM billed us for a service call
claiming that the problem was with non-IBM memory in the system, that EMC
would reimburse us that IBM bill.

The only other time I recall that some outfit agreed to pay IBM maintenance
bill because of their failure was when we bought a hot printer.  We had got
several IBM peripherals from one place with the understanding that they all
qualified for IBM maintenance & were reconditioned so that IBM maintenance
could start on all of them immediately without any extra hassle for us.  Well
as it turned out we did need IBM service calls within a week of their
delivery & IBM maintenance was on everything except the paperwork had not yet
gone through on the printer, so we called the 3rd party that sold it to us &
they said to forward the IBM maintenance bill to them.  A week later the same
scenario, so I called the Manager of IBM Maintenance for our region to ask
what was the hold up on putting this printer on our service contract.

Turned out that when we get hardware, IBM checks the serial number against
their data bases & in our case the IBM records showed that the printer that
we had bought was on lease to some hospital in White Plains New York.  Seems
like some new manager of a department did not like the mixture of hardware
there & ordered trade in for a mixture that he did like.  However, he had not
realized that some of the hardware was on lease, and not open to trade in to
the 3rd party hardware market without checking with the leasing authority,
let alone saving the hospital the maintenance contract fees.  Apparently this
sort of thing happens a lot & IBM has a procedure for resolving it.

If you do not personally experience it, you not always know about stuff that
happens a lot.  Like the time I was assigned a hotel room, and some other
guest who was a stranger to me, was also assigned the same hotel room & when
I got back to the office & shared the once in a blue moon story about a
flawed implementation of hotel computer system (nothing wrong with the
software - it was operator error & methodology soliciting operator error), I
was told by folks who travel more than I do that this sort of thing happens
all the time.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies