  • Subject: RE: is operating system always to blame, was: Ready to scrap an AS/400
  • From: "Cox, Joe" <joecox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:18:24 -0600

Ran into this situation about 9 months ago.  When running at 95% of capacity
while waiting to install a new 400 an errant query with improper joins
filled the disk.  The system appeared to everybody to be locked up.  I had
always heard horror stories about disk crashes when they reached 100%.  So I
was very pleasantly surprised when I found the controlling subsystem still
active.  The console was the only thing that would work and it was very
slow, but it did allow me to shut down the job and free up the disk space
before a required IPL.  I'd say the OS did an admirable job even though some
would say it did lock up.