Text snippet extracted from
http://www.ignite400.org/html/articles/art113.htm regarding the new
announcements for the AS/400

 The downside? If you can call it that, SEU, SDA, RLU, are all stabilized and
will
 not support the many new features of the languages! SEU is DEAD! Read that

 carefully, DEAD, KAPUT, GONE! You must use the free PC based WebSphere
Development
 Tools and for RPG you must use CODE/400 which is part of the package

I cringe at the thought of using CODE/400.. We have tried three times to
use it in our office, and each time we stop using it after a month. The
EDITOR really really stinks.  I am much faster with SEU and cut and paste
than I was with CODE/400.

I may be able to do stuff in CODE/400 that I can do in SEU if I were to
write MACROS.. Who has the time to learn a new macro language or
play around with getting it to work.  They also say that the benefit is
that you can work detached..  I don't remember when I ever needed that,
unless I really got bored on an airplane or something.  We always have
access to our AS/400 from wherever we are.  Also, checking if the
code will compile on the PC is ludicrous.. If it takes my program 4 seconds
to compile on my AS/400 then why would I want to check it on the
PC?

I also find the interface of any IBM based PC product to be sub-standard. I
came from a mac background in college and unfortunately migrated
to the PC. I find that Microsoft is one of the only companies that works on
their user interface and makes it intuitive (they should spend more time
making their products work better).  Lotus, IBM products just don't work or
look as good as M$ products do.

Also, by using CODE/400 on your laptop for instance, you could work on
other people's boxes.  We found this not to be true.. The setup required
to get a customer's machine able to use CODE/400 was not worth the effort.

As for using SDA/RLU, I must say that I haven't touched those products in a
long long long time. We have been using a code generator for screens
for almost 4 1/2 years, and haven't looked back. As for reports, if we ever
generate those programs anymore, I would use RLU/SEU.

Michael Franchino
Custom Systems Corporation
(973) 383-7808 X214 (Phone)
(973) 383-6398 (Fax)