  • Subject: Re: Urgent: How to monitor jobs for .....
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:17:41 -0500

Two products that work specifically in this area are Activ8 from ASNA and
AutoTune from Help Systems.  I also believe a good one to look at is Charlie the
Tuner from PAE.  I specifically use AutoTune and am actually pretty pleased with
it.  I have looked at Activ8 (after the fact) and am pretty impressed with it.
It looks more granular than AutoTune.  I don't know anything specifically about
Charlie except it's probably one of the originals and have heard it mentioned
previously.  I use AutoTune for memory pool management (I still think it does
better than OS/400) and abusive job control.  Overall I give them a B+.

I'm not sure if they will specifically handle your exceeding job time since I'm
not 100% sure what you are after.  For long running batch jobs we use a
different combination of tools and practices.  Personally, I don't cancel any
job automatically......I just either need to penalize it and/or notify me.....

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          Rajeev_Asthana@noida|
|        |          .tcs.co.in          |
|        |                              |
|        |          07/24/00 03:31 AM   |
|        |          Please respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L          |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     Urgent: How to monitor jobs for .....   |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello All,

Is there any way I can monitor jobs in the system for their possible CPU usage
times exceeding some limit, say, 70% and kill them if they exceed.
Moreover, the other job attributes such as elapsed time etc. also have to be
monitored.

Please send me the solutions at your earliest.

Thanks in advance.

Rajeev.

Please Note: This mail is also posted on RPG list. So, please ignore this if you
already got it there.

"This  email message and files transmitted with it are confidential, proprietary
and legally privileged. If the message that is received is an error, or if there
is  any  mistransmission,  the  originator  must  be notified immediately as the
unauthorized  use,  dissemination, publication, transfer or any other use of the
message  by  unauthorized person is strictly forbidden by law and prohibited. If
anybody  commits  violation then he would be legally liable and punishable under
the  relevant  law.  The  intended  recipient  can  be  rest  assured  that  the
confidentiality and privilege is not waived or lost by any such mistransmission.

Internet  communications  are  not secure unless it is protected by using strong
cryptography.  TCS  does not accept any responsibility whatsoever for changes in
the nature of modifications, additions, deletions made to the message once it is
sent.

TCS  reserves  the  right  to  monitor  all  e-mail  communications  through its
network."

Tata Consultancy Services
www.tcs.com