From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com
[mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Pamela Phillips
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 1:26 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Tape question

I know nobody wants to hear about a 9347, but we can't get rid of ours quite
yet. A vendor sends us data on reels, and as you can guess we have had a lot
of problems reading the tapes. The only other common medium between us
appears to be 8mm. We have progressed to the point where we have a test tape
that we can dump successfully.  The dump shows the data is ASCII, and that
it
was encoded with the UNIX tar utility.
How do we get the file off the tape? I searched the archives, and the only
solution I could find involved jumping the data through several hoops to a
PC
so we could un-tar it using winzip. That would mean pushing it back onto the
400 where the programs that need the data sit.
Is there such a thing as TAR/400? Or what should we ask our vendor do that
will give us a tape we can read just a little more easily?
david@midrange.com