  • Subject: RE: DDS screen: how to ensure field keyed is numeric for alpha-descri bed field
  • From: "Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:19:38 -0600

For what it's worth:

JDEdwards World software - the RPG product - does this all the time.  By "all the time" I mean they do it for every field that defined as numeric in the data dictionary that shows up on a screen.

The screen field is data-type character and the user can type anything they want into it.  JDE has a "numeric scrub" routine.  It reads the value left to right throwing away anything that isn't a digit, decimal point, or sign.  Then it moves the number into a zoned numeric field, aligns the decimal and sets the sign.

Before display, they move the numeric field into an array, insert the editing, then move it to the character display field.

Let 'em type anything they want.  Take out only the good stuff.

Any you performance types wondered why JDE used so many cycles :)  The trick used to perform decimal alignment still brings tears to my eyes.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
www.richardjacksonltd.com
Voice: 1 (303) 808-8058