  • Subject: Re: Filtering Messages (was: *** Admin thoughts
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:33:52 EDT

I am on AOL 5.0 & the obvious solution would be to wean me off of AOL & onto
some other ISP offering ... AOL does not offer any filtering.  None, other
than the ability to block spam from known return addresses which is useless
because the same stuff comes from a different address every time, so all I
use that for is to block some domains that generate the most excess.  It is
all or nothing for AOL filters.

One of the lists I subscribe to is the Wiring Harness Manufacturing
Association WHMA.ORG ... all messages from them come with an insert of WHMA
in the front of the Subject line, no matter what the end user had keyed.
This is a nice way to recognize all posts that came from that source, except
for the nuisance that most people's e-mail reply messages default to Re: the
old text, which again gets WHMA inserted in the beginning.

We know on Midrange-L that the process can lead to many excess chunks of the
"What list is this" in the signature area.  Well in the WHMA list, that can
lead to many excess copies of "WHMA & Re" on the subject line.  So the state
of art of this kind of software ideally needs to only add M_L or B_L or
whatever to the front of the Subject line if that string is not already
provided.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor