  • Subject: RE: Product Enhancement by Voting?
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:16:56 GMT

Richard I surprised myself by agreeing with every point you've made
excepting one, and that may only be because I didn't understand something.

You said "...investing in RPG would be silly!  Does anyone honestly think that
there
will be  significant new application development using the RPG language?"

I am not so ready to roast the RPG pig.  Too much of the new spiffy stuff
just isn't working out well or is taking much too long to implement. After
a shop has set up their spiffy new NT servers, installed the patches, set
up their Office 2000 servers and got everyone on Word, Excel, and Outlook,
installed more patches, purged some viruses, and prepared next year's
budget, where do they go?  At some point someone is going to be looking at
RPG and discovering just what it is that made it so popular in the first
place, 30+ years ago.

This morning the power was out at a client's shop for 1 1/2 hours.  When
the power came back on their AS/400 just came up and starting working. Not
so with the rest of their server farm.  Management noticed that.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com

"Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@richardjackson.net>