  • Subject: Changing Column Headings - SQL LABEL
  • From: "Reger, Bill" <breger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:21:09 -0400

Earlier this month there was a thread on Midrange-L asking about how to
change the column headings of fields in a file without recreating the file,
since doing this causes level-check problems.  Somewhere along in the thread
someone requested that WRKDBF be enhanced to support the SQL LABEL operation
that changes column headings and/or field text without level-check problems.

Quoting here:   "Any chance of WRKDBF getting this functionality?"
                 "Whoa! That would be the icing on the cake!"

Well, I'm done licking the icing off the spoon.  Although it seems to me to
be a rather silly enhancement, WRKDBF now has a service pack available that
will allow you to change column headings and/or field text using the SQL
LABEL operation.  To get it, go to the WRKDBF web site at www.wrkdbf.com
<http://www.wrkdbf.com>  and go to download page.  You must be on version 10
to use this service pack.

If you decide to install this service pack and use this feature, please keep
the following in mind.  It is very important that you try to maintain your
DDS source (assuming you use DDS) in sync with any SQL LABEL changes you
might make.  If someone rebuilds the file from the DDS, it'd be nice if your
changes are there.  Also be aware that if you use the SQL LABEL to change a
PF's column headings, these changes will NOT be carried through to any LF's
on that PF.

Bill

William K. Reger
Senior Project Manager