John --
 I hit the same problem with an HP4000 and an HP5 (with internal JetDirect).
 In my case, the problem cropped up when the printer had been sitting for a
while and had to "warm up" before it would print. On the internal jet-direct
cards I also got the problem if another host was printing a BIG document
(read lots of images etc or in some cases just plane long (> 300 pages)).

 I wound up making sure I named all the printer devices with someing in
common on the front end of the name and putting an auto-reply in the system
reply list for the message (CPU403D) looking for that common "front part" of
the device name.  I also tried setting the "inactivity timer" value higher
(I think I spotted this in the "Printing V" redbook). Setting the timer up
helped reduce the incidence of problems but didn't totally eliminate it.
I've had to do this on V4R2 (be SURE you have the group TCP/IP PTF installed
if you are that far back) and V4R4.

Good luck!

************** copy of original message for reference ********