  • Subject: Re: ending selective sessions in batch
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:12:45 EDT

>  From:    dbooth@injectronics.com (Dean Booth)
>
>  Lucky me, when my overnight batch jobs don't run.
>
>  My EDI software has a job that must run every night.  It won't if
>  certain users are on and tying up particular files.  This became a
>  problem when we hired a 3rd shift shipper last week.  I can't end my
>  interactive subsystem because I have other users doing other things (I'm
>  using QBASE instead of QINTER, but I'd switch if it would solve the
>  problem).
>
>  All I have is the user name.  This is a TCP/IP user, so I won't know the
>  device name.  If I could direct the output of WRKUSRJOB to a file maybe
>  I could turn the data into ENDJOB commands.
>
>  How can I kill sessions in batch when all I know is their user name?
>
>  thanks, Dean

I do not know the precise commands to do this, just the general strategy.

The EDI job needs to be structured so that it gets to a MONMSG cannot
allocate exclusive access to particular file for update for whatever reason &
relevant LCK command to identify user in conflict.  Then you want a loop to
bombard that user or users with error messages to get the *** censored ***
out of conflict because of blocking this job that needs to run every nite at
this time & is estimated how long to run before you may get back into the
files in conflict, then the EDI job waits 5 minutes & tries the loop again &
after 15 minutes of looping, it starts sending messages to managers & other
users identifying the user who is holding up the parade & how many warnings
have been sent that person or persons so that if there is any co-worker in
range of their work area to tell them that continued malfeasance can get
someone fired (hint hint), because for all you know, the conflicting user
left some job in middle of some program & is off to lunch break.

The message text needs to be sufficiently clear so that the user cannot claim
they do not understand what going on & just ignore what they do not
understand.

If there are a limited number of jobs which must be run at a specific time
each nite & the end users KNOW this, and cannot cooperate, then do as I do
... I shut down the entire system ... yes I am inconveniencing 100 people
because of a problem with 2 people & management knows this & when management
people are doing my job when I am on vacation, they doing the exact same
thing, because teaching our staff to be network literate means that everyone
has to be network literate & it is less trouble to just shut down the system
so that no one can use it when we need semi-dedicated tasks to run.

During end-of-month we often vary off clusters of remote facilities because
it is simpler to just prevent everyone in an office from being able to use
the system than trust them to know what programs are safe to be in during EOM.

I have this all the time ... I make long distance phone calls every night to
fill up voice mail with words to the effect that if I do not hear from that
person in the next 15 minutes I will assume they went home leaving their
session active & I will kill their job, corrupting their data, so I can run
backup, but if I hear from them within 15 minutes then I can adjust my start
time so as to minimize inconvenience to them.

If you want to shut some person down & you have their identity & you are
signed onto the system & have the security to shut them down, I do not see
the problem.  If the person & you are equals in the eyes of management, then
you are in the position of telling the users of the EDI output that they
cannot get the data today because of this other department's unwillingness to
stand aside & let it run ... it is a management people problem to solve, as
opposed to a technical isssue.

I would be wary of attacking one particular user ... have you talked to that
person to verify they know precisely what the EDI job is & why they need to
stand aside to let it run ... it could be a break down of training in that
person's department, that is solved by the EDI job sending message-all when
it gets to some check point, then the affected users signing off & the EDI
job in a loop to see if the relevant files are tied up continuing when they
signed off but if no success then 10 minutes later send message all active
again & have it page help desk only after 30 minutes of no cooperation.

Before we abandoned EDI, we were sending our stuff to intermediate files, so
that individual runs of the most nuisance parts were using files that only
the EDI was in, and various stages were looped to retry to infinity & send
messages to selected people that this is retry # 123 & the reason it is
looping this time is that we cannot update file ABC because users X Y and Z
are in the way & oh yes they have been asked to get out of the way.

If you are technically more knowlegeable than the person you are butting
heads with, then you need to stop all JOBQ that they have security access to,
so that their next jobs cannot run by batch, until yours done & you restart
their JOBQ.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor