  • Subject: Re: AS400 user password
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:51:39 EDT

>  From:    DBale@lear.com (Bale, Dan)
>
>  Gee, Jim, how did your wife come to form such an opinion?  Anybody she
>  knows?  <gdr>

>  - Dan Bale

We do have several "code of conduct/ethics" to live by, depending on what
organizations you are in ... when I learned the profession in the 1960's
there were several professional organizations I joined, such as DPMA & I
cannot remember the names of others ... they all had codes of conduct for
programmers, that stressed honesty & integrity ... we had an enormous
responsibility, to people who knew less about computers than we did, to see
to it that our software actually does, behind the sceens what it claims to do
at the user interfaces, and that our corporate data is protected against all
manner of risks that only we can protect it against, and our testing is
thorough.

There was also the issue of when we encounter corruption ... when we
computerize something that used to be done manually & it is not working right
& the reason why can be due to hanky panky in the human participants & where
our responsibilities lie to root out evil.  I have mellowed a bit in my
middle age ... I recognize that there is a lot of evil in the business world
& we have to live with it if we want to keep this career.  One of the evils
was leaving Y2K fix to the last minute - I have seen many others almost
equally stupid.

My suggestion to those who see a need for a resurgence in ethics is to get a
hold of some of those codes of ethics & put links to them on relevant
internet sites, then work on periodic upgrade as realities evolve.  What I am
seeing with the internet is a vast number of end users who know nothing about
legalities of copyright etc. acting like nothing belongs to anyone, least of
all responsibilities, then some of those people get good enough that they can
become programmers, except they went through no formal computer science
education, that includes computer ethics.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor