  • Subject: OS/2 connection to Netserver. ????? can it be done?
  • From: CSElliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:21:31 -0500

I am looking for any help I can get connecting an OS/2 Workstation to an
AS/400 NetServer Share.  I have tried several different tactics to make
this
connection, but I know I am missing some minor little thing.  Windows NT
Workstations can connect to the Netserver shares without any trouble.  When
I try to make the same connection with an OS/2 workstation I receive a
SYS0058 message.

        [C:\IBMCOM]net view \\NETSERVER
        NET3502: OS/2 error 58 has occurred.
        SYS0058: The specified server cannot perform the requested
operation.

        [C:\IBMCOM]help sys0058

        SYS0058: The specified server cannot perform the requested
operation.

        EXPLANATION: You are attempting an operation that cannot be
performed
        by the specified server.

        ACTION: Make sure that you have specified the correct computer name
        and command, then retry the command.  If you continue to have
problems,
        contact your network administrator.

I have tried to make this connection on more than one AS/400.  I can
connect
to a couple systems using the exact same configurations.  On the two
systems
that work one system is running v4r2m0 and the other is running v4r4m0.
The
two systems that cannot make the a similar connection are running v4r4m0.
Unless I'm just missing something all three systems are configured
similarly.

I haved configured the OS/2 workstation to use use the SMB (Server Message
Block) Protocol to communicate via NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  Since the
Netserver
is not currently defined in a DNS or Shadow Server, I added an entry to the
RFCNAMES.LST File.  Just incase there was an authority issue communicating
to the AS/400 via OS/2, I created a local user priofile on the OS/2 System
using the same ID and password that is on the AS/400.

I don't know if there is a specefic server or service that can be checked
on
the AS/400.

Thanks for any Help,

James W. Bradley