  • Subject: Re: how to print list or User libraries
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 14:36:46 EDT

I suggest you do GO BACKUP then look at the settings related to which
libraries are on the daily weekly monthly list - do not change anything, just
print each screen as you scroll through.  This will give you 100% list of
your libraries & which ones have been changed since their last backup.  Even
if you GO SAVE for backup, or use some CL ... this story will be correct.

When we were on V3R7 on AS/436 we used GO BACKUP for our volatile libraries
which took 2 hours to backup, on 8 mm tape, 20% of our total disk resource
which consumed 80% of 11 Gig available, and twice a month we used GO SAVE-21
everything which took 6 hours.  By the time we were on V4R3 on model 170, the
GO BACKUP for same group of about 20% of disk space took 8 hours, while GO
SAVE-21 everything takes 1 hour 35 minutes on MLRI tape, so now I run GO
SAVE-21 every weeknite.  We have not appreciably changed how much hard disk
space is to be backed up.  There is stuff here that seems counter-intuitive.
I suspect that IBM "improved" the GO BACKUP to stop & start at each library
instead of going continuously.

There's a questionairre to help IBM customers & partners select the right
size hard drive, processor, memory, etc. for our volume of types of usage,
which the partners sometimes conveniently (for them) ignore when they going
to sell us something we don't need or is not right for us.  I think that
questionairre needs a revision to reccommend optimal backup time duration,
expressed in how many hours of down time for all other users are acceptable,
to backup your whole system, with a chart ... here is cost of tape drive &
other systems neccessary to shave that down time to X hours.  Input to the
questionnairre periodic review might be driven off PM/400.

GO DISKTASKS I think it is to request statistical reports on how your disk
space is being used ... I find it very useful to see that this library eats
15% of disk space & HOW MUCH stuff is owned by the master security officer.

On command line WRKLIB & F4 ... there are options for *ALL other than the
normal your library list defaults ... I have used this with *PRINT to get a
nice reference listing of the libraries.  If you are on the DSPLIB screen for
a library & you view it, scroll through the info shown like when was the last
time anyone actually used this library ... there is data similar to DSPOBJ
individual object in a library.

It is possible to write a CL to dump that statistical data into a file that
you can run Query against.  We do it to see how active files are & HOW MANY
files have no records & how much disk space could be re-purchased by
reorganizing to get rid of deleted records & which files are the largest
(should not be combined in query).

I think you may be V3R7 or V4 no higher than R4
We are on V4R3 but in recent memory were on V3R7
Although other IBM products use V#R# number system & there will be stuff on
your AS/400 which is at a different V#R# than your OS/400 ... very confusing.
 I think there should be a character in front of V that identifies the
product like O4V3R7 for OS/400 so as to distinquish from other IBM products
that might be at a different revision level than O4

I also have tons of excess libraries whose function I have hard time figuring
out, but a serious downside of AS/400 backups compared to S/36 technology is
the retention time of the backup media.  When we were on S/36 we could take
stuff off-line with assurance that we could bring it back 10 YEARS later as
needed ... although we did make at least 2 copies of the media due to
occasional problems ... with AS/400 tapes, we are hearing that media life
span is like a few months, so that off-line storage of stuff we might not
need for a while, such as source code of applications not in midst of
modifications ... forget it.

>  From:    carolinehughes@eircom.net (Silent but deadly)
>
>  What is the command/option to print a list of all of our User Libraries,
> to show the most frequently used, if they have been updated since we last
did
> a full System save etc.....
>  We are doing this as we neeed to get rid of unnecessay libraries as It
took
> 20 hours to do a full system save last weekend.....and guess who had to '
> babysit' the AS/400 while it was going on!!
>  We are running V4R7.
>  Thanks
>  Caroline Hughes

Al Macintyre  ©¿©