  • Subject: Re: Sources of Info (manuals)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 01:07:25 EDT

Al Macintyre home PC is now afflicted with the latest WORM ... it struck an
hour or so before warnings from IBM Midrange_L & others ... this is the first
computer virus to get thru Al's defenses ... sooner or later it had to happen.

>  From:    jburcher@cbcolcntr.com (Jeff Burcher)

>  Al Macintyre wrote:
>
>  >but we also have the manuals that step us through what we
>  >should do if we have a particular error message & are kind of lost
>
>  What is the name and publication number of that manual? I'd love to order a
>  copy from IBM.

I checked my manuals at the office where I work on a green screen & I could
only find the ones for S/36 that match what I said.

However, the one you need to get, if you do not already have it
SX41-4720 Progamming Reference Summary
this is a very compact, almost fit in our pocket (coat pocket perhaps)
"booklet" with chapters on different kinds of IBM supplied objects, lots of
APIs, master list of CL commands, good overview on system values, keyword &
abbreviation summary, IBM files, and 200 page chapter 8 on IBM error messages
that can be monitored for, organized by the commands that trigger them.

Not what you asked for here, but did ask for earlier, and really critical
when managing what causes error messages

SC41-4306 Work Management ... really comprehensive on the behind the scenes
message queues, sub systems, job queues, logging levels, system values

SC41-5206 Base System Operation, Administration, and Problem Handling - we
have 2 editions, an older one suitable for Green Screen Management & a newer
one for using Operations Navigator

I also have a booklet from AS/400 magazine - 18 months of AS/400 tips
reprinted & organized by general topics

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor