When somebody asks me about processor speed on our AS/400 it's usually
because they want to compare it to PC's.

Knowing that this comparison is faulty (and doesn't look good for the
AS/400), I reply by saying "I'm not really sure, but I do know that our
AS/400 uses a 64-bit chip and our PC's are still using 32-bit chips, so it
runs a lot faster."

You can then launch into a discussion of how the AS/400 has had 64-bit
chips for several years and the PC people are still working on it, and even
when they do it will be several more years before their software is
optimized for the 64-bit chips, and the AS/400's already is.

                    mcrump@ballfoster.com

                    Sent by:                       To:
MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                    midrange-l-owner@UUCPHO        cc:

                    ST.MCS.NET                     Subject:     Re: Processor
speed

                    04/24/00 12:45 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

The processor in a 720-2063 is a 200Mhz Northstar with 4MB L2 cache.  As is
the
usual case the disclaimer is that these numbers are extremely useless for
any
kind of comparison and essentially not germain to any kind of technical
discussion......

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Quazy"      |
|        |          <quazy@SoftHo|
|        |          me.net>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          04/24/00     |
|        |          10:25 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     Processor speed                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

I have a 9406-720  207E   with processor feature #2063 and interactive
2-way (810 CPW)

I would like to know what the speed rateing is on the processor in MHz not
in
CPW's how and where can I find out.

I would also like to konw what speed my CD-ROM drive is.  It is a #6321
Model 2

Thanks Chris

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com