  • Subject: Re: STRINFSKR
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:25:21 -0400

At 09:34 AM 04/20/2000 +0200, you wrote:

Hi,

A few salient points:

1.      Infoseeker should have been named Infosucker.  It was so overhead
intensive that it was ridiculous.

2.      IBM's current strategy of books over the Internet is far
superior.  You can get into an HTML version of the book for a quick lookup,
or download a .PDF version of the book just as IBM would have printed
it.  (Despite the fact that IBM announced a decision to get completely out
of the printing business, last week.  Note that this is hearsay, and I have
no official confirmation from IBM.)

The Internet strategy is fairly well documented in the talk that I do at
COMMON called "ABC's of System Management".  If you would like a copy of
the talk, send me private mail at my private address listed in the
signature of this document.  Requests to this address (my midrange-l
address) will not be answered (or else David would kill me).

3.      A bypass solution for Infoseeker use in V4R4 was previously posted
to the list, but if you try it (which I did),  you will find that none of
the IBM supplied books are there.  So it would still be useful if you
authored your own books.

4.      Lastly, get a life.  Infoseeker was a poor product
implementation.  It performed poorly, although it worked well on a 5250
workstation, which is the only thing that I use as a workstation for keying
on the 400, because the PC keyboard does not have the proper look and feel.

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390