  • Subject: RE: Logical Files vs. Physical Keys
  • From: "Mike Cunningham" <MCUNNING@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:00:55 -0500

Any coding design that relys on an abnormal termination for a unique key
error instead of doing a SETLL to see if the key exists before writing a
record  is just bad design technique

>>> rpg@cross-check.com 03/24/00 10:47AM >>>
Yes you can use unique keyed logicals to force your physical unique,
that is
until the logical gets its data member removed, thus no index
maintained,
and some batch program updates the physical.  Now the logical member
cannot
be added back because of duplicate unique keys.  OOPS! some green
program
just caused you a big headache in scrubbing the data to remove the
duplicates or re-assign the unique keys.  Gee what aux files have the
key
you need to scrub and which record goes to which?

Ok that's a worst case scenario but can be prevented by putting the
unique
key directly on the physical.  I have had the index of a physical get
corrupted during a power failure and the ups blowing a fuse.  It was
real
easy to recapture ALL the data to a new, freshly compiled, physical
with a
simple CPYF FROMRCD(1).  JMHO and bad experience, it is better to put
the
lowest level unique key on the physical for forcing the data to remain
unique always.

Christopher K. Bipes     mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Sr. Programmer/Analyst   mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.         http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive    Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928 Fax: 707 586-1884

If consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, only geniuses work
here.
Karen Herbelin - Readers Digest 3/2000