  • Subject: Re: AS/400 Disaster Recovery
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:16:56 -0500

The answer is yes.  It will vary a little depending on your release but the
steps would be as following:

1.) Mount the tape
2.) Set control panel to manual and source as D.  Then start the IPL
3.) Install Licensed Internal Code screen will appear.  Select option to Install
Licensed Internal Code.  A second screen will appear Install Licensed Internal
Code (LIC).  Select option to Install Licensed Internal Code and Initialize
system.  Depending on different circumstances you could select other options
here but for DSR this is what you would normally choose.  Confirm choice.
4.) A Install Licensed Internal Code - Status screen will appear.
5.) Eventually, you should see a Disk Configuration Attention Report.  Accept
the problems and continue.
6.) At the IPL or install the System select Use Dedicated Service Tools (DST).
You need your QSECOFR password from save time.
7.) You will then select Work With Disk Units, Disk Configuration, ASP
Configuration, and Add Units to ASP.  Enter a corresponding ASP number for the
units you desire to add.
8.) You will most likely get another Problem report.  Ignore and continue.
9.) You will get a Confirm Add Units.  Press enter to confirm.
10.) When complete you will get a succesfull message.  If you are mirroring
there are some extra steps to take.  I quit mirroring about 4 or 5 years
ago......This part can take some time.  On my systems (100GB or 200GB) this
takes about 10 hours.......
11.) At this time you start to do your actual system recovery.....there is a few
things to do.  Like install the operating system :-)
12.) If you saved using the Option 21 you can do a Unattended Restore off of the
Restore menu.  I think this became available as of V4R3.  This will do your
RSTUSRPRF, RSTCFG, RSTLIB, RSTDLO, RST, RSTAUT, and STRSBS.  I think that is all
of it.
13.) Then you IPL the system.

In a large nutshell that's it.  I am glossing over some of the decision points
and screens but it should be pretty darn accurate.

Mike

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "oludare"    |
|        |          <oludare@ix.n|
|        |          etcom.com>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          03/22/00     |
|        |          10:39 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                       |
  |       To:     "AS/400 Midrange Usergroup"             |
  |       <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>                       |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)        |
  |       Subject:     AS/400 Disaster Recovery           |

Hello guys,

This question apply to same box and a new box, same hardware & software
configuration.

Do you need to INITIALIZE DISK DRIVES during disaster recovery? If so, what is
the detail procedure?  How does this fits into reloading all SAVSYS information
on TAPE and the IPL modes.

Thanks for all of your input.

Dare