     Pardon for the late response (too much going on to keep up with the
     rest of the list), but I can't pass making one (or two) comment(s)....

     Bash Java.... You do a pretty thorough job of making this Java's
     fault, but it just doesn't sound right to me. I'll admit that the JAVA
     proponents will tell you it'll butter your bread for you, and hype the
     hell out of it till you can't stand to listen to any more, but get
     real. Java is a very reasonable solution to many programming needs.

     So you got stuck with a bloated, unsatisfying program. You can't tell
     me that the same crap couldn't have been written in another language
     environment. Is every RPG program you've seen been great? Or even
     good? Bad code lives in every environment, not just JAVA.

     OPINION: The argument that MS JVM could be your problem is VERY
     viable. As I understand it, the standard garbage collection routine in
     JAVA is an exclusive process, and when invoked, your program will just
     freeze until the garbage collection is completed. This translates to
     very noticable performance issues that cannot really be resolved,
     unless the JVM uses an alternative method of cleaning up the
     environment. The JVM on the AS400 uses a very clever alternative that
     minimizes the impact of garbage collection. I believe other vendors
     may also have other variations. Memory leaks would seem to be a
     problem in the implementation of a JVM, and as such, M$ and their
     products may be the main culprit in your problem.

     QUESTION: As this is the MIDRANGE-L, I'd assume that you COULD try
     this app on an AS400. You state very firmly that you've got no
     alternatives to the NT box, so why are you complaining here? Wouldn't
     a M$NTJVM newsgroup be a better place to whine about this?

     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com