  • Subject: Re: Sales Pitches
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 03:00:17 EST

Phil,

pike4@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Bob, It's fine when you offer advice, and you do it in a professional
manner,
> not like some of these fellows who retell how they saved the World Trade
> Center every few weeks. When you start selling your products here, that
> violates the integrity of the list, and people are very concerned with
that.
> Look at what happens when someone suspects that they are being spammed via
> this list.

Apparently, my "chill out" message did not reach the list -- must have been
due to the highly publicized "hacker" attacks of late >8(.  I believe that
David explained the vendor situation quite well and succinctly -- perhaps
less succinctly than _SHOULD_ have been necessary, but perhaps too much so
for yourself.

Avoiding the "no flame" rule is quite difficult for me at this point.  In
mentioning "The World Trade Center Incident" as an example, you have not only
impugned the character of one of the greatest AS/400 supporters in the world,
but misrepresented your own position in doing so.  If you'll review the
archives, that incident has been mentioned _FAR_ fewer times and _FAR_ less
frequently than you imply, and then only in both a professional manner and
response to a related question.  That man has done more for the AS/400
community free of charge and in his spare time than most of us will while
earning money for the same task.  His _FREE_ assistance during my first
COMMON conference as an independent has been essential to my five years of
success in that endeavor, and he has helped countless others in the same
manner.  Your review of the various "Who's who on the AS/400" lists _MIGHT_
be prudent before you begin to cast aspersions.

David, David Gibbs, and _ONLY_ David Gibbs determines what "violates the
integrity of the list."  _YOUR_ vote doesn't count, and you should e-mail him
directly if you have a problem, rather than air your grievances before an
audience that already tires of even _slightly_ irrelevant content.  Vendors
saying "call me" is a sign of respect for the list, taking their discussions
off line after everyone knows what they offer in response to the question
rather than exposing all of us to the endless tripe that inevitably follows
an offer of service here.

And sign _ALL_ of your missives so that we don't have to research your name
in saved e-mail...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Anyone who is not liberal in their youth has no heart.  Anyone who is not
conservative in their adulthood has no brain." -- Winston Churchill