  • Subject: Re: Trigger question
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 21:07:21 -0600

At 17:13 02/03/2000 , Loyd Goodbar wrote:
>I'm using the program from Pete Hall's web site
>(http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall/?trigger.html) as a basis for making a
>trigger program over a test file. I'm copying the buffer from the physical
>file, plus some job information, to a capture file. All the fields in the
>capture file reference the original file.
>
>The problem is, both the original file and the capture file use packed
>fields, and I am receiving a data decimal error when I try to write to the
>capture file. Since this is a before insert trigger, the original record
>buffer should be NULL fields. I have added AWLNULL to the packed fields in
>the capture file, set ALWNULL(*USRCTL) in my program, and "eval
>%nullind(o_co) = *on" (the first packed field in the input buffer).
>
>I was expecting to output NULLs to the original record buffer in the capture
>file. Is there something I'm missing in regard to NULLs and packed fields?

I can only make a guess, since I have not tried to do this, but apparently
the data must be valid based on its data type, even if the null indicator
is on. You can't reset the new record image, since it is external to the
program, but you could declare a third copy of the input record as yet one
more data structure and specify INZ. If the current operation is an insert,
you could move the initialized record to the new record area. That should
be pretty efficient and would still externally describe everything.

Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall