  • Subject: RE: NJE
  • From: "Jill Gallagher" <jmg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:20:26 -0500

> Jill,
>
> NJE is a mainframe implementation and I've never run into it on an
> AS/400. RJE is implemented on the AS/400 in the CM1 communications
> package. RJE can use either an 2780/2780 BSC or LU2 SNA connection. It
> can be used to send files to the mainframe.

Thnaks, I'll check that out and see if that's what he was talking about.

> I think Direct:Connect is a Sterling product. They probably have an
> AS/400 version.

It is and I've checked it out.  It's about $10k, which is why, for just one
application, my company won't go for it.

> If you are enterprising you can probably write your own BSC client to
> talk to the mainframe using RPG and ICF files. I think the AS/400 BSC
> guide has some sample code, and you might find some sample code on the
> News/400 (http://www.news400.com) or MidrangeComputing
> (http://www.midrangecomputing.com) web sites.

Already have multiple programs in house that we've written to do just this.
The company I'm trying to set this up with won't allow it.  Not quite sure
why.  Unless they just don't know the 400 and what I'm trying to.  It's one
of those where I've talked to a dozen people so far and haven't gotten
anywhere.

> We also have a commercial product that does 2780/3780 Bisync dial
> communications to mainframes. More information here:
> http://www.patownsend.com/BankLink400.htm.

Thanks for the input.  I'll get back with them and see if I can find someone
who really knows the communications on their machine.