  • Subject: Re: Have you read this(jdedwardsconsult)
  • From: "OleBlighty" <oleblighty@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:18:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <Jdedwardsconsult@aol.com>
To: <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: Have you read this?

> Well, my goodness, you sure read a lot into that didn't you?  I was simply
> replying to another email regarding IBMs use of a governor and whether or
not
> anyone had any comments.  But as far as slamming our MIS department... we
> weren't given any choice or say in the matter whatsoever.  The acquisition
> proceded and we did the best we could with what was dropped into our laps.
> And no, the company is NOT JDEdwards.  And your damn right we were pissed
off
> at IBM, a governor should restrict your usage (in my opinion) not TAKE all
> the CPU and prevent anyone from getting ANYTHING done.
>
> But thanks for your concern
>
> And another reason we were pissed off at IBM... and I don't know the EXACT
> details word for word because I wasn't immediately involved... but when I
> said they took us for a ride I was refering to the way the charged us FAR
UP
> THE YING for upgrading our S30 to a 730.
>
> And again... thank you for your concern and kind words.
> And if I read your reply one more time... my words will not be so kind.

OK, things are a lot clearer now.  You're pissed off because your MIS
department were forced into doing something which was just dropped into your
"laps".  Sounds a lot like your company's IT strategy isn't really connected
to the company's business plan...but I think I already said that.  I would
figure that there are plenty of people on this list who feel (or have felt)
the same way, me included.  I still don't understand why you are pissed at
IBM.  Detail regarding the "governor" seem to be freely available...for
starters see all the responses on this list, let alone the details you can
get from IBM itself.    You're also pissed at IBM for their well published
"UP THE YING" pricing structure.  What did you think they were going to do,
give you an upgrade for free.  IBM only ever gave me one thing for free; a
badge to wear when I was on-site one day.  And even then I had to give it
back at the end of the day.  Sounds to me you should be pissed at your
company for putting itself and it's MIS department in an unenviable
position.

I just bought a new BMW M5.  It's electronically restricted to 160 mph.  If
I go that fast, the governor kicks in and cuts fuel to the engine.  I know
this when I buy it.  But hold on, I need to go faster then 160mph to win a
race.  What do I do.  I pay to have the speed the governor cuts in moved to
a higher speed.  Until I get the job done I will have to keep the car under
160mph.  Unfortunately BMW won't do the job and I will lose my warranty if
someone else does.  You are in the enviable position with you machine that
IBM will do the job and your warranty is still intact.  I think that's a
pretty good analogy.

P.S.  I was neither concerned nor giving you "kind words" in my original
post.

P.P.S  I haven't really bought a new BMW M5.

P.P.P.S.  Go on, be bad, read my original post one more time.

Kind regards,

Mark.