  • Subject: Re: Have you read this?
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:34:58 -0600

Is it just that you are unhappy with your job, or is it that you can't
quiet wrap your chubby little knuckles around RPG? Or is it that you are
a PC programmer, thrust into a midrange world and you are using this
list to vent? Whatever the case, you have not made a valid point that I
can see after wading through the yards of sarcasm.

No one will argue that Universal DB beats its PC counterparts hands down
in terms of stability, nor will many argue that the AS/400 the most
stable machine in the world. I don't argue that giving the higher ups,
access to specific data through a more user-friendly interface is not
prudent. What I, and many others on the list, have is that RPG is the
best tool for writing the kind of heads down data entry and reporting
applications that drive every business. I mean most bank auditors I have
dealt with prefer to have the data in hand rather than drill down
through some "user friendly" data mining tool like Crystal Reports or
Seagate's Info7.

So just what is your point, spare us the sarcasm so that we mere mortals
may gleen from your evident wisdom.
Tell us oh great what is the perfect language of which you speak.
Heres a hint though, there ain't one. RPG just happens to be, until IBM
gives us something better, the right tool for the AS/400.

Again I say, your wit is mis-directed.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.