I passed along the requested information regarding the sales rep.  I also
talked to her today.  She told me that she had confused BRMS with ADSM.

Once again, life is good.

Thanks for all who checked into this.

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator

>>> <hoovey@us.ibm.com> 01/07/00 08:40AM >>>

For some reason this seems to come up every so often. There seems to be
incorrect statements floating around that BRMS is withdrawing support on
the AS/400. These rumors are not only false, they are absurd.

Please do not participate in spreading RUMORS!

BRMS is alive and well!

BRMS is and will continue to be IBM's strategic backup/recovery product on
the AS/400.
I believe BRMS to be the best in function, flexibility, quality, and time
to market of any backup/recovery product on the AS/400.
IBM continues to invest heavily in the development and support of BRMS.

Coming: Major focus on usability including BRMS being seamlessly being
built into Operation's Navigator. The interface will hide all the
complexities of being able to use BRMS backup/recovery functions.

V4R4 - BRMS has teamed up with Domino for AS/400 and is shipping next week
a function to be known as 'Online Domino Backup'. This is truly a
remarkable new function allowing Domino users to save Domino databases
while they are in use, and even changing!  There are NO SYNCH points!
V4R4 - BRMS is the interface to the new 'parallel backup', allowing up to
32 tape drives to stream data from a single save operation in parallel!
This ability has the potential to help the length of a backup window.
V4R4 - BRMS built in the ability to secure usage to 'areas of functions'
and specific items with the new Funtional Usage Model. This function is
biult into 'Application Administration' in Operation's Navigator.
V4R4 - BRMS changed its product structure to split up the Backup/Recovery,
the HSM, and the Networking parts of the product. This allowed pricing to
change so that it was affordable by all AS/400 processor sizes.

V4R3 - BRMS is the ADSM Client interface to and ADSM server.
V4R3 - BRMS is the HSM solution on the AS/400 for all your archive/dynamic
retrieval needs.
V4R3 - BRMS is the HSM solution on the AS/400 to seamlessly migrate data to
and from compressed disk based on usage based policy rules.

Some of the confusion may have surfaced becase of some feature codes being
discontinued by IBM/BRMS. Some of these feature codes were related to a
productivity pack that bundled BRMS/ADSM/Job scheduler. It is simply no
longer being sold in a bundle.

Todd, please let me know who the IBM Sales Rep is.
Richard, please forward to Cheryl Ross. I did not see an email id.

Please call me directly if you have comments or concerns.

Thanks, Hoovey.

Paul S. Halverson
IBM - BRMS Development and Product Owner
AS/400 Development Lab  -  Rochester, Minnesota
(507) 253-5658   (Tie) 553-5658
hoovey@us.ibm.com

"Live, Love, and Laugh."