  • Subject: RE: AS/400 IP COMMUNICATION WAIT TIME
  • From: Chris Bipes <rpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 07:41:43 -0800

True you may be able to disconnect a client tcp/ip from the network and plug
back in without loosing the connection.  But a server is different.  You may
get away with it, but if someone sends data to the server while the
connection is broken, the client will close their side of the connection.
If you tried to refresh your tcp/ip telnet screen while the laptop was
disconnected you would have lost everything.  I have switched my AS400 from
one hub to another hub with only losing a couple of connections, we have
several hundred active all the time.

So the answer is YES you can disconnect the as400 Ethernet line and then
re-connect, but results may be unpredictable.

Christopher K. Bipes     mailto:ChrisB@Cross-Check.com
Sr. Programmer/Analyst   mailto:Chris_Bipes@Yahoo.com
CrossCheck, Inc.         http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive    Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928 Fax: 707 586-1884

*Note to Recruiters
Neither I, nor anyone that I know of, is interested in any new and/or
exciting positions. Please do not contact me.