  • Subject: Re: DCD, a part of Borg Enterprises
  • From: "Gallagher, Debbie (CA - Toronto)" <dgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:35:21 -0500

Booth:

Part 1 - Don't know anything about Borg.

Part 2 - Don't sell software, but I know that Lawson and Infinium both have
good market presence. There are a couple of others, but I am having a
seniors moment and can't remember what they are called. You would have to
assess their functionality based on what you need, of course. When looking
for products, I often find interesting things at the midrangecomputing.com
and news400.com web sites. In addition, I pick up my most recent copies of
their magazines and read the ads instead of the articles. It may also be
worthwhile contacting the local HR/Pay Institute, whatever it is called in
your area (I think in Ontario it is HRPAO), and ask what people use there.

Outsource - Someone else mentioned outsource and you may find it worth
looking into, since the client has only 50 employees. ADP is a big name, and
so is Ceridian. Although I have only extremely limited experience with
these, I have better vibes about Ceridian than ADP. ADP was marketing their
Payroll and HR as integrated-work well together systems. However, I
discovered that they were really two separate systems marketed under one
name, and required export utilities to send info back and forth. In
addition, the consultants for the two modules didn't know a lot about each
other's products (it seems they worked for two different companies).

What other package is migrating? - You mentioned that this client is
migrating from S/36 to AS/400. Are they changing software packages, or is it
a homegrown package that is being moved over? If a software package, the
vendor may have an HR module, which can then be interfaced to an outside
provider of payroll services (such as ADP or Ceridian). This is a pretty
common practice, even among the PeopleSoft crowd.

Debbie Gallagher
dgallagher@deloitte.ca