  • Subject: FW: how to document AS/400 reports using Microsoft Word
  • From: <ksummers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:40:28 -0800

how to document AS/400 reports using Microsoft WordWe also use the Alt-Print
Screen and Paste method, however, the resulting document is enormous.  Also,
publishing to PDF files makes unreadable screens.  The only way we have
found to get around this is to paste the screen into Paint Shop Pro (our
image program of choice), save it as a JPEG and insert the JPEG into the
Word document.  Then the resulting document is much smaller and the screen
shots are readable in the PDF file.

Note, that with the regular Alt-Print Screen and Paste method, the resulting
HTML document generated from Word when you Save As... looks alot better than
the PDF file, without all the extra work of using the image program.

We do alot of documentation and we have noticed a few things:
a) Use Alt-Print Screen so your toolbar doesn't end up on your screen shots.
b) Name your emulation session something a user would understand, since it
displays in the window header
c) Determine your publishing method.  If the document is being delivered as
softcopy to a client with an unknown program set, publish it to a standard
format like PDF or HTML.  If it will be delivered hardcopy, just use Word.
d) Save Often!

Kari