  • Subject: Re: AS/400 and NT security
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:37:46 -0500

>I'm now looking for information on synch'ing users and passwords between
>an AS/400 and NT applications.  Users log on at a web server application
>and are validated against an AS/400 or an NT Domain.
>Can the AS/400 users be passed to the NT Domain?
>Are there restrictions, if so what are they?
>How often are the synchronized?
>What happens when an As/400 password is changed?
>How long before the change is replicated to the NT Domain?

Wayne--

You have three choices, beyond manual processes. (Pay particular attention
to the directional aspects of each solution)

1. Use NT on the PC Server card
This lets you replicate passwords from OS/400 _to_ NT Server.

Although this is an OS/400 feature, it works only with NT Servers hosted on
the PC Server card. It's amazing that IBM doesn't think this feature is
worthing opening up to external servers, isn't it?

2. Use SNA Server on the NT Server
This has built-in password replication from NT Server to the AS/400.

3. Use third party products
http://www.proginet.com/products/securpass/securpas.htm
http://www.universal.com/up/default.htm  (Requires SNA Server)

At one time, Vision Solutions (www.visionsolutions.com) also sold a password
replicator but I can't find it mentioned now on their Web site.

With LDAP on the AS/400 now, maybe that's our path to other solutions, but
I'm not aware of anything that yet takes advantage of LDAP to solve the
password sync problem.

rp