  • Subject: Re: Auditing Programmers
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:53:40 -0800

Apparently you have a different view of programmers than
I do.  Sometimes when I am working on a very difficult
problem I have to get up from my desk and walk around.
It has been shown that productivity improves when people
in jobs that require concentration take breaks and relax.

Also, some times you can't see the forest for the trees, and
it helps to clear the air.

Then gain, he might be a lazy bum.

I don't think you want to look at the fact whether he is sitting
in his chair only 9 hours a day instead of the 10 hours everyone
else is, is he/she getting the job done?  Is it a very difficult task
(for them, not you) they are currently working on?  Is their
work satisfactory?

Basically, if a programmer is getting all their work done on time
satisfactory and I am pleased with their performance, I do not
care if I never see them sitting at their desk.

On the other hand, if a programmer's work is unsatisfactory, it
doesn't really matter if they sit at their desk 24 hours a day.

That's just the way I see it. You can't really stick all programmers
in the same arena as "normal" office workers and expect to see
identical behavior.  Programming (if done right) can be a very
stressful job.  Different people have different ways of handling
the stress.

If I was working at a company and my manager told me that I
wasn't sitting down at my desk enough I would call them a
pointy haired boss and find another job without Big Brother
looking over my shoulder.

Regards,

Jim Langston