  • Subject: off topic NYC taxis; was RE: I'M CERTIFIED....:) :) :)
  • From: Carl Friedberg <friedberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:44:15 -0500

Speaking as a near New Yorker (I've only lived here half my life), this is
an honor you do not want. I ride taxis in NYC a lot, and I never can relax
for an instant. You are riding in a vehicle that has a very unsafe, kludged
up barrier about 20 inches from your nose, designed so that in quick stop,
your face gets an imprint of the barrier. The New York hospitals actually
see so many of these injuries (if you survive the crash) that they have a
special name for it. The drivers are underpaid, work 12 to 16 hour shifts,
speak no English (for the most part), and usually have no idea where they
are going. All they want to do is drive as fast as possible, to maximize
their income. Even if you know where you are going, you may have difficulty
communicating that to the driver.

I'm constantly amazed that anyone wants to drive through NYC; the average
speed is now somewhere around 5mph, meaning a typical New Yorker walks
faster than traffic, on average. Anytime you want routing suggestions on how
to avoid NYC, just drop me a note (if you can't find the information on the
web, of course). big grin, best wishes,

Carl Friedberg, carl@comets.com