  • Subject: RE: V3R6 -> Y2K?
  • From: Carl Friedberg <friedberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:15:58 -0500

David, if you are going to turn it back, is the day of the week an important
issue? if so, try running it on this day in 1971, and see what happens; 1972
will have the same day-of-week for a given julian day as will 2000. Just a
thought. Of course, the day of the week may make no difference.

FWIW, about 15 years ago, when I was testing device drivers on my home
system, a Digital VAX 730, it was necessary to re-enter the date and time if
you clobbered things badly enough. VMS has always handled time as a 64-bit
entity starting in the mid 1800's. Anyway, I made a slight typo entering the
date, and instead of 9/9/1984, I entered 9/9/19984. As the system booted, I
noticed that I was getting 4 asterisks wherever a year field belonged. That
was the only side effect; I eventually shutdown, changed the date back to
1984, and got a bunch of messages about (revision date is in the future).

One wonders how an operating system could be so dumb as to allow an operator
to enter a year which is nearly 10,000 years in the future, relative to the
most recent date it had seen, without asking for a confirmation... Carl

PS, I assume there are no possible lawyer/legal ramifications to possible
screwups? You could easily eat up the upgrade charge with a couple of trips
to the law offices of (name your favorite skunk-lawyer group)...