  • Subject: Re: Programmers VS Consultants
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 20:22:01 -0600

<< Phasers(*STUN) RantMode(*ON)>>

That is a particularly OFFENSIVE remark.

1. QUIT SHOUTING. It is common knowledge that using ALL CAPS is either shouting, or a message from someone who does not know how to operate a keyboard.
2. A consultant provides a service, just like a doctor, lawyer, cobbler, or mechanic. As a matter of fact, this is called commerce. Most people (except politicians) provide goods or services in return for compensation.
3. Do you think a doctor injects you with toxins, just to guarantee a return visit. Or possibly, the mechanic tinkers with your car so you must return? Maybe you believe a lawyer would drag out a case, just for bigger fees? Oh well, two outta three isn't bad.
4. Often time the "short term solutions" I have encountered were performed by employees. In all fairness, there are a variety of issues, such as a lack of time to do it right, lack of education, improper tools, or even the urge to become the "key person", by creating a monster that only the employee can keep at bay.
5. A true consultant will identify problems and their causes, then work towards developing and implementing a solution that suits the client's needs. Some consultants will actually code the solution, some will write specs, others might direct the coding. This varies from consultant to consultant, as well as the client.

In my fifteen years as a consultant, after leaving one of the Fortune 100, I have attempted to provide all of my clients with solutions that fit their situation. I have often had three month assignments become longer term engagements, and have been called back for repeat engagements. Was it because I created a need for my services? YES. I showed my clients how I could contribute to the profitability of their organization. And that is what makes commerce work. Provide a quality service that others need, at a price they can afford, in a timely manner.

<<Phasers(*OFF) RantMode(*OFF)>>

One last thought. What did this remark have to do with the original post?  If you will read the original post (as quoted below), you will see that it appears to be referring only to EMPLOYEES, within a company.

   Are there any companies where the programmers play a consultant role rather
than a programming role.

What  Pros and Cons are there?  These consultants would be directed by the
individual company areas and report to a manager for resource management.

Has anyone done this?  And if so, how can a manager keep  the
Consultant/Programmers as a team?

Bob Larkin
Consultant (and darn proud of it)

JGracetri@aol.com wrote:

HOW DOES A CONSULTANT MAKE MONEY? ANSWER. BILLING YOU FOR HOURS WORKED.

*NOTE. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO OVERSEE THE CONSULTANT. YOU WILL GET A
SHORT TERM SOLUTION(I.E. A PRGRAM OR SYSTEM THAT WILL REQUIRE THE CONSULTANT
AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, SO THE PROGRAM OR SYTEM IS DESIGNED TO BE OUTDATED FROM
DAY OF IMPLEMENTATION).