  • Subject: Re: Rizal is fed up, and his bulk email package doesn't work
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:13:24 -0500

At 07:16 10/13/1999 , Jack Mullins wrote:
>I agree with David!  And the worst thing about The400Group is that when they
>send e-mail, they usually don't give instructions on how to get off of the
>list (at least they never did when I was getting stuff from them!)  I guess
>you would have to reply to whatever address the message came from and hope
>that it would end the bombardment.  I finally got tired of receiving the
>same sales pitch every other day and blocked their domain.  However, they
>are just as persistent with snail mail.  I get the same stuff from them just
>about every week and I get faxes from them all the time too!
>
>Search400 is a trip too.  I admit that I did sign up with them to receive
>some of their tips e-mails.  But, I did not think that they would send the
>same two or three messages over and over and over...  So, I finally decided
>to use the link at the bottom of their tip messages to sign off of the list.
>Would you believe that the very next day, I received the same tip message
>again as a "free trial" of their tips list!?  What a mess!  Thankfully, I
>haven't received any more from them in the last few days, maybe it is over.

Jack,

Never respond to spammers. It just confirms that they got through. Here's
some things you can do instead. Look at the mail header, reading from the
bottom up. Examine the server handoffs. You can usually tell where the spam
really came from. Then, complain to the postmaster on that server. In the
case of a .com domain, that usually means that they are not on the
backbone, so even if they have their own server, they still must contract
with someone on the backbone in order to reach the net. The leverage is
with the administrator or postmaster on that site. You can often tell a lot
about the topology by running traceroute. Often a .com domain is a virtual
domain on another server, and the postmaster there will be sympathetic.
Even if you can't find anyone to complain to at all, you can ask your ISP
or server administrator to block the sending site. You can also program
your mail reader to automatically delete mail that originates from a known
spam site.

hth
Pete

Pete Hall