  • Subject: Re: subfile size
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:57:35 -0700

Art,

I don't know if you found a bug or just have a flaw in program logic,
but taking into account the other responses on this list, I must concur:
the program that -allows- a user to flood a 9k subfile, IMHO, is not
asking enough filtering questions.

What are they allowed to do? Give me a list of invoices for the past 5
years with every customer that has an "a" within their name?  OK, maybe
you're working for a really great company and the request is as simple
as all pending shipments within the last 15 minutes?

Super, but who counted the records, or how did you determine that only
9,332 were displayed?  I feel for you sitting at the help desk, but geez
what the heck made the user realize that 9,332 entries weren't enough to
make their eyes scroll? <g> Pls expand on the situation.

BTW, you can have more than one display subfile per program, so a user
can load 2,3,4,5,6... up to 12 9k subfiles and flip/flop between them
without additional reload.  Fill the first one and ask ... do you
reallly want more?  Are you hunting or just wasting time? <g>  Oh, sneak
in a secondary message that if they ask for more, their request will be
forwarded to their supervisor. =:-O

It's not hard to do, it's all in the DDS and a simple select/cas logic
choice within your program.

But, how is simple, the burnng question is: why.