  • Subject: Re: Green Screen access for customers - suggestions??
  • From: Jerome Draper <jdraper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 09:33:52 -0700

I see lots of votes for the low cost TN5250 Mochasoft client.  It certainly
is cheap.

As many know, my vote is for Synapse NetWolf which is actually not that
expensive compared to other clients and has all the required AS/400
features including the SQL based file transfer.  Simple to use, not heavy
on the desktop, and does fit on one diskette as well.

Jerry

At 06:37 PM 10/1/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>What is in place now that can be worked with?
>
>You mention dial up capability, but don't state if it's through an IP
>network.
>
>If so, Mochasoft has a rather inexpensive TN5250 without file transfer.
>Have your customers purchase it and you can go from there.  Heck for
>$25, buy it for them and set it up.  It's good PR.
>
>If not, you can install a protocol converter like Perl or Andrew made
>and these devices look like dumb terminals.  It is connected to you
>twinax controller, so if you don't have an available port you may have
>to do some shuffling.  In this case, the client software will be in
>$125+ dollar range I think.  Some may balk at the cost.  Not to mention
>your ongoing cost for a phone line for each concurrent connection.
>
>Oh, almost forgot, never done this, but I think I've seen on this list
>about setting up SLIP on your ECS modem(s).
>

>"Mark A. Manske" wrote:
>>
>> Hello; I am a Sr. Project Lead at a distribution company.
>> We have customers that would like to dial into our AS/400
>> have restricted access through the AS/400 security
>> and be able to change their SRP's.
>>
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>+---

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, Perle, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com