  • Subject: Re: Thin Clients
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:35:54 -0500

You guys have piqued my interest on thin client computing. Here are some
costs and planning guidelines for the Citrix product:

Citrix MetaFrame (runs on Windows NT Server).
Base server license + 15 users costs $6K
25 users is an additional 4K

Total license fee for Citrix MetaFrame and 40 clients = $10,000 (this is
list and there is probably some price diddlying available).  You'll also
need to add the cost of the MetaFrame support/maintenance contract.

This does not include the NT Server server license nor does it include the
cost of MS clients. There, you need a TSE client license and an NT
Workstation TSE client license, per client. Depending on your needs, you may
also need a TSE BackOffice license.

Here are Citrix's rule-of-thumb capacity planning tips:

Any server with Pentium II 400 MHz CPU or greater.

Approximately 32mb RAM per concurrent user with 64mb for the OS.

Approximately 250mb hard disk space per concurent user with 500mb or so for
the OS and MetaFrame.

1 processor - 15-20 users - 256-512mb memory
2 processors 30-40 users - 512-1024 mb memory
3 processors 45-60 users - 768-1536mb memory
4 processors 60-80 users - 1-2 gb memory

Note that Citrix recommends one processor for every 15-20 users!

rp