  • Subject: Re: Thin Clients
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:30:38 -0500

> I got an interesting response to my question about thin clients.  The
> responding individual feels that thin clients are on their way out.  His
> opinion is that they don't perform well over all and that they are not
well
> supported.  Can anyone agree with or dispute this opinion?

On their way out! They've never been in! But seriously...

A lot depends on your intended uses, what you're calling thin client
computing, and how correctly you've configured the server. You _must_ have
an appropriately configured server for the thin Windows model. Remember, you
don't get something for nothing, and subtracting horsepower from the desktop
means adding it somewhere else.

There are at least three models of thin client computing, so pick a
definition before you pick a fight:

1. Networkstation running a browser and green screen. Great substitute for
dumb terminal.

2. Networkstation running a browser, green screen and Java,
browser-delivered applications. This model didn't come true and isn't likely
to. This month, Lotus pulled the plug on its e-Suite Java-delivered
alternative to MS Office. Java clearly isn't science fiction anymore, but it
also won't deliver on _every_ promise it initially made.

3. PC attached to Terminal Server/Citrix solution. This is a potentially
good solution, but needs _lots_ of horsepower on the backend. And, MS
products are just barely thin-client aware. You may spend less tweaking
desktops with this model, but expect to do so at a 10%-25% performance hit.
Also, expect tradeoffs with application compatibility; for example, the only
version of CA/400 that 100% (almost) supports Terminal Server is Express.
And, remember too, that with this model, your users will still drive you
nuts with printer problems, how do I do mail merge, I can't get the menu bar
I had yesterday... it's all such an ugly cycle. We all oughta open a deli.
You don't have to reboot roast beef.

Today, with the lower buy-in of PCs and better desktop management
possibilities (such as system policies), stand-alone PCs are quite likely to
be around for a long, long time.

rp